Saturday, September 26, 2015

Sarchu- Leh

High Altitude Desert

These mountains of Sarchu are hard and barren, standing there waiting for their one true love 'Snow'. He visits them every year and wraps these mountains with his blanket of love. I wonder if some year the snow doesn't come, will these mountains move on, or will they wait forever?

 

While moving ahead from Sarchu, we ascended towards 21 Gata Loops. The 21 hairpin bends (elevation 4190 to 4739m, KM 256) with Tsarap Chu River flowing at the bottom. On the way, I came across a strange temple with water bottles all around it. At first I thought people were throwing waste and was disgusted with the sight but later I got to know it was a memorial built to pacify the Ghost of the cleaner who died stranded on that road with thirst and hunger. These roads are now hunted by his ghost begging people for water. Quite scary ha!

 
Ghost memorial photo courtesy - http://tourdeladakh.in/2013/11/25/day4part1/


In Pang, I saw stunning views of sand and natural rock formations along the Sumkhel Lungpa river. It felt like temple like structures were grown out of the mountains. Sometimes I saw cluster of such formations which felt like a mob of people standing there guarding a secret hidden in these mountains.





Taglang La
I didn't realize where the time passed traveling through Kelong. I reached Taglang La, it is the world's second highest motorcycle-able pass at an elevation of 17,480 ft. I was so mesmerized by the beauty around that I didn't realize I was getting a little breathless. I was in a confusion, was my heart pulsating so fast because of the beauty around me or was it altitude. I started taking frequent long breaths, sucking the cold air into my lungs. 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment