Saturday, September 3, 2016

Things to pack for Valley of Flowers

Here, I will list down all the items that are important to be added in your backpack and items you can leave out.

What to take-
1. T-shirts (7-8 for 10 day trek, trust me on this because it rains a lot in Uttarakhand during August and you will need a change and won't be able to repeat)
2. Track pants (I took 3 for 10 days trek and regretted it, you will need 5 pairs at least)
3. One light weight jeans which you can wear when not trekking but travelling from one place to another on the bus/car.
4. Socks ( 7-8 pairs, there will be rain, river crossing and water on the streets which will wet your socks and anyways you don't want to walk around with smelly socks)
5. Enough change of undergarments ( you won't be able to wash and dry them as you will be moving from one place to another and as it is wet and humid during rain, your clothes won't dry even after 2 days of drying)
6. One towel; go for the microfibre towel- which dries very quickly. I got mine one from decathlon.
7. One pair of trekking shoes ( I was planning for the quechua shoes from decathlon which were out of my budget so went for action trekking shoes which cost me Rs. 799 in comparison to Rs. 5999 from decathlon. From my experience I can tell that action trekking shoes are as good as any expensive brand and I had no slippage or any problem during the trek because of these shoes)
8. One pair of flip flops for walking around in the city when not trekking and these will relax your feet from the strenuous trek and also let them breath out of those shoes)
9. One pair of clogs ( I am recommending this from my personal experience because when my shoes were completely drenched due to rain, I had no option but to carry on in them on other days as they didn't dry. I saw many people trekking in clogs and they were quite comfortable in it)
10. One hiking hat, which will protect you from rain as well as sun. I highly recommend this because I was all sun burnt after the trek although I was wearing sunscreen)
11. A pair of woollen gloves/waterproof gloves, a woolly cap and two sweaters. Evenings get cold there are you will need something to protect your head from catching cold. I got the fleece light weight jumper from decathlon and it served the purpose.
12. One scarf; again to protect yourself from cold ( you can skip packing this if you want and buy a woollen shawl from govind ghat. Some women in my trek got a good bargain of Rs. 200 for a full length shawl)
13. One backpack in which you can put all your clothing and a day pack to carry food and water to the valley of flowers and hemkund saheb.
14. Travel pack size items to carry- Soap/body wash, Shampoo, Conditioner, face wash  Sunscreen lotion, Moisturizer, lip balm, toothpaste, brush, wet wipes, tissues, toilet paper, comb, rubber bands, safety pins, bobby pins, sun glasses bandana(optional) hair band.
15. Camera and extra batteries
16. Food - This is very important as you go up to ghangria, food will get expensive and at hemkund saheb even more expensive. I paid Rs. 25 for a Rs. 5 Parle g packet.
- Carry healthy biscuits like oats and wheat which can give you enough nutrition, Khakhra, bhakhavadi, thepla, bhujiya, peanuts, kabuli chana, chocolates, lemon based sweets, dry fruits- Almonds and dry dates.
I also carried small pack of jam, ketchup and mayo sachet which I used to make sandwiches in ghangria. Bread and vegetables were bought from joshimath which is the last place from where you can buy things at retail price.
17. Medicines- Band-Aids, dettol, Antibacterial powder, Crocin(fever), Avomin(vomiting/nausea), Flexon MR(muscle relaxant), Norflox TZ(stomach infection), Lopramide(diarrhoea), Citrazine(Allergy), Hajmola, pudin harra sachet, glucose lemon flavor, vicks vapor rub, zandu balm, kapoor(high altitude breathless ness), gelusil(acidity), strepsils(throat)

What not to take-
1. Make up, unless you can't live without any item.
2. Torch, I didn't find the need as all the stay was in a hotel.
3. Trekking stick ( buy it from govind ghat, they hardly cost Rs. 20)
4. Jewellery
5. Sleeping bag/blanket
6. Hair dryer/straightener (not all hotels have 24 hrs electricity)

No comments:

Post a Comment